Caring for your jewelry ensures that it will last for years to come. It is our aim to create pieces that can be passed down for generations, which is only achievable through proper care and attention. Please refer to our tips below to ensure your jewelry lasts the test of time.
General Guide to Jewelry Care
Being careful goes a long way. Constantly dropping, banging, or catching the piece will weaken it over time.
We strongly recommend that you remove your jewelry for any activity such as swimming, gardening, and exercising. We do not guarantee any stone’s longevity, and even though diamonds are perceived to be hard, they can and will break when exposed to such activities.
Please remove your rings when washing your hands or cleaning. You have invested in a fine piece of jewelry and every stone reacts differently to commercial soaps and cleaning agents. It is best to avoid them as much as possible. In particular, remove diamonds, opals and pearls when doing any kind of cleaning.
Cleaning and Storage
Habitual cleaning will remove skin oils, dirt, and other surface residue that has stuck to your jewelry. We recommend using a soft cloth or toothbrush, dipped in warm soapy water and gently scrub the metal. Commercial jewelry cleaning solutions can be harsh and should be used sparingly or avoided entirely with stone jewelry.
We do not recommend cleaning your jewelry in any commercial jewelry cleaner or ultrasonic cleaning device. Doing so will ruin many stones including opals. Should you wish to have your jewelry cleaned we are more than happy to do it for you.
Store your jewelry in a safe and organized space. Constant tangling of chains can weaken the links, and diamonds can scratch other stones if they are kept closely together. Make sure your natural stones are stored somewhere cool, dry, and shaded.
Stone Jewelry Tips and Tricks
While cleaning a ring with an approved method, be sure to scrub underneath the stone's setting; dirt and oils build up heavily in this area.
Do not clean opals or druzys. Should they become dirty we are more than happy to clean them for you. Doing so will break them. If you do break them we can replace the stone (if still available) for a charge. Stone replacements are not complementary.
Natural stones will each have a different level of durability. Diamonds, sapphires, and rubies are the hardest and will resist scratching and chipping the best. However, no stone is damage proof. Please treat all your stones with care. In particular, opals, pearls and stone slices (including diamonds) are some of the softest and delicate gemstones, so use extra care with them and avoid any trauma. Again, please refer to our directions on care above.
Keep opals and turquoise away from prolonged sunlight or high heat to avoid damage. Do not expose opals to any cleaning agent.
Hints for All Metal Jewelry
It is safe to use traditional silver or gold cleaner on these pieces, unless your piece contains dark oxidized silver.
Oxidized silver is not a permanent treatment, so it will fade over time and reveal the shiny silver beneath. It fades differently on every person depending on body chemistry, so you may notice a difference within a few weeks, months, or years down the line. Contact us if you wish to have us re-oxidize your jewelry at any time.
Our hug hoops are a simple and versatile piece, and since they are not a closed circle, it's essential to wear the earring backs that come with them. Contact us if you need more!
Thank you for choosing a piece of our jewelry. We hope you wear it in health & happiness. Please refer to this document often.
Although we make our jewelry with the highest standards and materials, we can’t control their life after the pieces leave us, so proper care and attention is needed.
- Engagement and Wedding Bands have a 3 year warranty from the date of purchase. That means we will repair any defects in production during that time, free of cost.
- Broken prongs and broken bands are covered free of charge within 3 years of purchase. Warranty excludes any repairs due to wear and tear or negligence, and any ring resize.
- Warranty does not cover lost or damaged center stones. We can try to find a replacement for you, but there will be a repair fee based on the materials required.
- Accent stones 2mm and under can be replaced free of charge within the warranty period.
- Engagement and Wedding Bands include rings purchased for $2,500 and above.
- Please note that any repairs done out of house result in a void warranty.
- Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org within the warranty period to request a repair, proof of the original purchase is required.
- All other MJM jewelry has a warranty for 1 year from the date of purchase. That means we will repair any defects in production during that time, free of cost.
- Our repair warranty does not include any wear and tear issues, or ring resizes.
- Once the 1 year has elapsed, any and all repairs will incur a repair fee based on the labor and materials required.